Sunday, February 13, 2011

Barnacle Sorting

Hello,

So I did my first run of  barnacle sorting and it was tough to begin with given the fact that I'm not a barnacle expert. So far, I have these types of barnacles in my Sembawang samples and I have sort them according to striations of the wall plates, texture of the wall plate and colouration.

(Above)Type 1: All white or almost white-ish. Could be the same as the rest of barnacles below, perhaps due to de-colouration in buffered formalin solution.

 (Above) Type 2: I call this the 'Onion' because it has multiple stripes along its wall and it reddish and pinkish in colour!

(Above) Type 3: Look the bigger barnacle on the left hand-side. I termed this type as 'Marble' because it is grey-ish in colour and it has no stripes and the texture on wall plates are rough
 (above)Type 4: Seastar: 5-6 dark stripes
 (above)Type 5: 'Tiger' .Both operculum and wall plates have evenly alternating parts of striped and non-striped areas

No comments:

Post a Comment